Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Inspirational Women Series #3 - Sarah McBrair

This month, in the spirit of meeting new people, I'm excited to highlight Sarah McBrair.  I had the pleasure of meeting her at the Young Designers Market in New York City this past summer.  We sat back to back selling our wares to locals and tourists alike.  And mid way through, I noticed her lovely jewelry - very classy.  So being a bit nosy, I leaned over to introduce myself and from there we started chatting.  It was exciting to hear about her endeavors as an entrepreneur doing something she really love.  As I continue down the road to my dreams, it is just the inspiration you need to be surrounded by.  When you follow your dreams, you always need advocates, trustworthy partners and true friends.


Can you tell us a bit about your business, Love of Pretty?

Love of Pretty is a unique, handmade, fashionable gemstone jewelry company. We specialize in “Design Your Own Jewelry” working with women to create custom pieces of jewelry. We take pride in hand-picking our materials and designing perfectly pretty pieces.

The purpose of  the brand is meant to be an easy way to make women feel pretty and give them an easy new look.

What inspired you to launch your business?

I was a marketing professional in the corporate world for seven years and knew I always wanted to do something for myself.  After designing jewelry as a hobby and passion for many years, it just clicked as the right business for me.

I have always loved to help my friends accessorize.  I love to base designs off of people’s personalities. The “Design Your Own” component of my business is my favorite. It is easy to find the perseverance and motivation when you choose an avenue you naturally love! Even when I am watching movies or just out an about I just stare down people’s jewelry…I can’t help it.

Why do you love doing what you do?  

It is the feeling I get when I see a customer’s eyes light up or have such a genuine reaction to the way they look when they try on a piece of jewelry they love is another one of my favorite parts of this whole experience.

I was recently at a holiday show in Old Lyme CT and I met a woman who you could tell just needed a little pick-me-up. She tried on a chunky pearl and citrine necklace.  When she looked in the mirror she smiled and her whole face lit up. It was the perfect necklace for her.  Right away other women looking at the jewelry made remarks about the necklace “That looks so pretty” or “that necklace was made for you” it’s moments like these that I get such a rush and feel so satisfied that I am genuinely helping women feel their best, I love it!

What challenges did you face in the beginning?

Everything took longer then I would have liked. When you start a business you want all your ideas up and running right away.  I have learned now everything takes time….but is worth the wait!

How do you define success?

Success is happiness. Being happy in your current position and reminding yourself all the time that is the most important thing in life.

What is a typical weekday like for you? 

Write a blog, post a Facebook update, sprint around New York City to find new materials, design new jewelry, take photos, send out orders….repeat!

When you are not running around…What do you do to unwind? 

My husband Brad and I have a three year old Gold Retriever, 'Russell', I pretty much give him all my attention!  We take two to three walks a day….well when it’s nice out.


Thanks Sarah for being an inspiration to those of us out there who are starting a business, are growing a business or dreaming of it!  Thank you for sharing your Spirit!!

Love of Pretty is starting a December “Holiday Helpers” campaign.  We design, we create, we gift wrap, and we ship directly to you! Enter “LOVELOP" at checkout for a special 10% off your entire purchase www.loveofpretty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment